This week has marked the beginning of a new project.
I really cherish this particular one for two reasons:
1) it will be done to be gifted to a friend’s mom as a birthday present
2) it is an elaboration of one of my original designs.
For Christmas I came up with the idea to create a memory blanket for my sister-in-law. She has always been a cat rescuer / lover / guardian (I love this term, thanks Jackson Galaxy!). During many years she had sixteen cats… so you can imagine that adding them all to the blanket took some time and effort.
Anyway as stubborn as I am I decided to go on and do it! This is the end result
Recently another friend of mine saw the blanket on my Facebook page and asked me to create a similar one for her mother’s birthday. I was exstatic and I embarked in this new adveture.
I tried to make good use of my previous knowledge and instead of improvising the final layout I decided to carry out a precise measuring of each element. I wanted to make my friend and her mum proud!
Happy as a bunny I then casted on my 180 sts and set to work.
After working something like 15 rows (for the edge) I realized that since what I was working was just HALF of the width for the final blanket something was definitely not right.
Yes I think you saw this one coming … instead of knitting a single bed blanket I would ended up having something as big as a double bed sized throw.
I think I forgot to mention this work will need to be finished and sent to Italy before half April… there was no way I would have made it in time with that size.
So, disappointed to have also failed the use of the knitting calculator, I decided to frog it and change my plan.
Recalculating the spaces between the letters and those of the borders I obtained a more sensible gauge.
This is a preview of what I have achieved so far… needless to say I am in love with the colours and this is just half of it! I am using King Cole Pricewise DK.
So finger crossed, BRING IT ON!